Thursday 9 January 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 9

Chapter Two

The seconds after Benjamin disappears are filled with a sort of static, like there is a residual presence in the air around me.
My encounter with him has left me feeling numb and my head overfilled with information. So I am a ghost, and no one can see me but other spirits. I close my eyes again, making sure I didn’t imagine the whole thing.
And there it is, a million, billion pinpricks coursing across my skin. I see, but not with my eyes, and everything I view is on the other side of a translucent curtain. The shadows of everything and everyone that ever was. An infinity of voices without words, an eternity of lost loves, yearned for wishes and dreams, never to be accomplished on mortal earth.
But there is hope too, and I find it harder to see. The occasional gleam of happiness that lifts my spirits in so much dark.
I open my eyes again and start to feel dizzy, like I’m slipping down an increasingly slippery slope behind me. I panic without meaning to. I can sense the gaping maw of the Edge behind me. Feel its chaos, so close but a million miles away. I was going to have to get used to my new gifts. I had no great desire to enter that place again. Benjamin had said that it was only terrifying if you let it be, but from where I’m standing, it makes my lack of skin crawl.
Because that is strangest thing, and it’s what drags me back to my new reality. I grip hold of my left wrist with my right hand.
Before I know what’s happening, it goes numb, it feels see-through, as though it’s not there at all.
As my fingers feel my still warm skin, I am grounded again. It’s all in my mind. The Edge is my mind. Maybe I’m more connected to it now I don’t have a body? I could never say if my musings are true, I have so many questions to ask Benjamin, so many that only occur to me now.
            I am truthfully a baby in this new form of body, and I know it will take me a while before I take my first confident steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment