Monday 3 February 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 34

                I don’t want to open my eyes. I feel steady so I know I haven’t fallen into the Edge.
                I try to sense the space around me to gather my surroundings. I concentrate and there they are, the feelings of all the people around me. Some of them are sleeping, their consciousnesses showing the gentle relaxing hum of fantasies or sometimes the dark shaking terror of dread; apparently the dead dream too.
                I force myself to pry my eyelids open, reluctant as though the action will give me a static shock.
                The feeling of the ground has already given it away. Hard not soft, dry and cold but not wet.
                I’ve moved.
                I’ve always wanted to see the Robin Thacker museum. Sandwiched on an old Georgian street, I look up at it and fulfil a life’s ambition. First though, I take in the magnitude of what I’ve accomplished. It felt as though I was brushing aside a curtain, when my scientific mind knows that I have somehow managed to bend space together, drawing this street in London to touch a field in God knows where.
                What does that make me? I know the astronomical requirements to transport matter in such a way. Being a sponge of sci-fi comic books, I had of course looked up the theoretical ideas they were based on. Teleportation, psychic networks, gene manipulation, I know everything is possible within the realms of our imagination, and apparently after death, freed from our prison of body and mass, we can put the ideas into practice. As a being of pure thought, I am imagination and nothing else.  
                I know what I need lies within the building in front of me. I know Yates and I share Thacker as a common interest, a bridge between the two of us. It was a common interest that Penny showed me on the day we met and pulled me out of a lifetime of timidness to become something so much more.
                Without a moment’s hesitation, I march across the pavement, through the stillness of a night in London and travelled through the front door.
                The sensation is becoming normal to me: a second of discomfort like holding my breath and then a release on the other side.
                The Thacker museum smells of books in a completely different way to Yates’ house. It has the precise scent of pages, but with it comes the sort of age that means something, of words a century old which will unite two spirits in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment