Saturday 22 February 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 53

            I know I have to trust him.
            ‘Okay,’ I say. ‘I’ll be coming back, you know.’
            ‘You’re not staying?’ he asks, and I worry. ‘Oh right, your lady friend. That’s alright, you go and find her.’ He smiles. This is a new side of Yates, and I’m not quite sure what to make of it. ‘Do you know where you’ll go next?’
            ‘I’m not sure really,’ I say, and I’m still thinking. ‘I know she always wanted to go to Rome, but Rome’s a big city.’
            ‘Well go, explore,’ he encourages. ‘It’s no use hanging around here.’
            I have the distinct impression he’s trying to get rid of me. I resolve to revisit the house in a few days time. I remember Benjamin said he’d be on the bench by the lake in Central Park in New York ever Friday at noon. I wonder would he help me now I’ve been around for a bit longer.
            I know yesterday was Wednesday, which means I have a day to waste before I can see him again.
            ‘Like I said, I’ll be back,’ I repeat.
            ‘I’ll have the chess board set up for you,’ he suggests. ‘I’ll see if you measure up to me. It’s so hard to find a good chess partner these days.’
            ‘I’d like that,’ I reply. I’d happily sit here and play chess with my new friend. Sometimes I think that’s all he needs: a person who’ll stay during the mood swings and let him be when he wants to be quiet. I know I have to get him out of this house but I have to see if he’ll do it by himself first.
            ‘Well I’ll see you, Yates.’
            He’s turned back to his manuscript again. This is the test. If he returns the book to the Thacker museum then I know he’s put himself on a good path.
            ‘Farewell, Easton, and thank you,’ he says.
            ‘See you soon,’ I say, and start towards the door. In an instant I’m through it and out into the world again.
            Would Penny be in Rome? I know all the places she wanted to see. She had a well-thumbed travel guide in her bedroom with all her future favourite places bent down at the corner.
            I begin walking down the path. My detour with Yates has cost me time but it’s time I don’t mind spending. Sometimes a person will extend a hand, asking for help. Sometimes they’re reluctant to do so. I don’t want to be a person who ignores the people who don’t ask for it just because that’s the easy path.
            I’ll be a better man than that. I close my eyes and count to ten, knowing my destination better than any other place.

No comments:

Post a Comment