Tuesday 4 March 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 63

                I’m staring into a person shaped hole in the universe. The light shines on me and I put up my other hand in complaint to shield my eyes. My head throbs like I’m staring into the sun.

                I tug on my hand, but it’s stuck fast to the handprint on the wall. Is the person getting closer, it’s hard to tell but I feel a heat, like I’m moving closer to a bonfire.
                I tug as hard as I can and my hand comes away. The man disappears before my eyes, like someone, someone has turned him off. I know it’s a man. I can’t say how, but something about him feels inherently mannish. Like I could see him but I couldn’t.
                Is that what the man on the street led me to? Is he there even now, just out of my vision.
                Frightened by the idea, I stumble backwards and make my way back down the stairs leaving the handprint, now tinged slightly blue behind me.
                I run down the stairs a little too quickly, so my legs take over from my brain and do the work for me. I reach the lobby and sprint out the front door. I feel an echo now, a presence in the place, like lines of smoke on the air, tendrils worming their way towards me and inching their way towards my skin.
                I close my eyes and burst through the door into the sunlight. I keep going and barrel right into someone.
                The wind is knocked out of me and I feel very sick all of a sudden. Falling back onto the floor, I come to rest and wipe my brow. Cold sweat comes away with my hand, and the feeling of sickness intensifies.
                ‘What do you think you’re doing?’ says the girl. She picks herself off the ground and pulls back a shock of pink hair that has fallen over her face.
                ‘I-I…’ I stammer.
                ‘Use your words,’ she says, looking at me with exceptionally dark eyes. They must be a very dark shade of brown.
                ‘I’m sorry,’ I finish. ‘Wait, are you dead?’
                ‘Well aren’t we a charmer,’ she says, sitting cross legged on the ground. ‘I like to think if myself as living.’
                I nod as I agree with her. I look from side to side, watching out for the starbright man.
                ‘I’d say you look like you’ve seen a ghost,’ she starts. ‘But I’d have to eternally condemn myself for using a dreadful cliché.’

No comments:

Post a Comment