Friday 21 March 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 80

                ‘You’re here, you’re real!’ he exclaims, almost jumping for joy.
                ‘Where else am I going to be, genius?’ I say. ‘You’re a bad influence,’ I continue, looking at Elle.
                ‘You have learned well, grasshopper,’ she replies. ‘How does that device detect us?’
                ‘A lot of people think ghosts emit an electromagnetic field,’ I say. ‘I don’t know for sure, but I’m guessing that as we leave our bodies behind, our body’s natural electrical force gets released somehow so it becomes easier to detect.’
                Graham’s eyes light up.
                ‘What are you thinking?’ I say, wishing we were telepathically connected.
                He starts rummaging around again, finally extracting a box that looks like a car battery. Tripping over his feet as he goes, he finds a plug in the wall.
                ‘Oh, that’s brilliant,’ I state. ‘That’s an ionizer, it changes the static charge of air particles. At the moment, the air’s masking us, stopping us from appearing. But if Graham changes the charge in the air…’
                ‘We can appear,’ Elle finishes, her face lighting up. ‘See why don’t they teach you this kind of stuff in school?’
                Graham takes a breath as though ionizing the air will feel like being plunged under the water.
                The machine whirs to life and then emits a short squeal. The change is instantaneous. First it feels like a static shock, the same prickle I feel when I close my eyes and see the Edge world around me. Then the air feels more free, like I’ve been buried alive and I’ve just clawed my way to the surface.
                ‘Easton,’ Graham gasps.
                ‘You can see us!’ It feels as though someone has had their hand clenched around my heart for the past two days. Now I’m seen again by a living friend, the hand releases.
                ‘You sound like you’re behind glass,’ Graham says.
                ‘The air must be un—ionizing,’ I say. ‘Zap it again.’
                ‘There’s no way ‘un-ionizing’ is a word,’ Elle says.
                The machine squeals again.
                ‘Keep it going every 30 seconds or so,’ I say. ‘The air around this room will change the charge back and we’ll disappear.’
                ‘Hold on,’ he says. He opens his laptop a little too violently, sending a beaker crashing to the floor. He plugs the ionizer in by USB and starts tapping away.
                I turn and jump out of my no skin. A man, the wild haired man in a moleskin coat, is standing in the room, in the spot where the Starbright Man disappeared.
                ‘Find the book,’ he says. His words are strangled, like there are hands clasped around his windpipe. ‘Find the book.’
                Elle jumps seeing him there.
                ‘Who are you?’ I demand.
                He looks at me, squinting his eyes from some kind of pain. He opens his mouth, two words straining to be heard: ‘Robin Thacker.’

No comments:

Post a Comment