Monday 10 March 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 69

              ‘What scares you about it?’ I ask. I’m suddenly worried that she’ll take offence to me saying so.
                ‘Just, I spent so long worrying about the afterlife,’ she says. ‘I’ve never believed in God, but I did start to wonder, and a small part of me hoped that there might be someone waiting for me with a big snowy white beard. When I found out that life goes on like this…I can never describe how happy it made me. The fact that I can visit my parents and all my friends and see them live their lives – it’s a gift that doesn’t deserve squandering. I guess I’m scared I might lose myself. I’ve heard stories.’
                I think of falling through the Edge, and feeling the fear of falling forever grip me. ‘It can be scary, but if you know where you’re going, then there’s nothing to worry about. And if you have someone guiding you, it’s even easier.’
                ‘Ah, now that’s the trick, isn’t it,’ she says, holding up a finger. ‘That requires me putting a great deal of trust into a stranger.’
                ‘I’m not, quite a stranger, I’m science boy,’ I say with a smile. ‘I’m not going to force you to go with me. But you pretty much admitted yourself that you want to solve this mystery. An adventure shared halves nothing.’
                She considers it. ‘That’s quite a nice quote,’ she says. ‘I’ll have to remember that one.’
                She’s still hesitant. It’s a new side of Elle, but I can understand her reaction. Life is more precious to her. The simple function of being alive was stolen from me in a second. That’s just unlucky. Elle’s life was taken over by a bunch of cells that didn’t belong, and decided to kill the rest of her. Her life was taken from her before she’d even died.
                ‘I’ll keep you safe, I promise,’ I say. I hold out my hand.
                ‘You’d better do,’ she warns. ‘After this is done, I’ll help you find your Penny.’ She smiles. ‘Science boy needs his science girl.’
                ‘She was never science girl,’ I say. ‘More novel-woman, or the amazing journal keeper.’
                ‘You read comics don’t you,’ she says, taking my hand. ‘Geek.’
                ‘And proud,’ I say, closing my eyes.
                It’s so easy to step into the Edge now, like it’s there already and I’m just opening my eyes to its existence.
                Elle lets out a sharp gasp beside me as we’re pulled into the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment