Sunday 30 March 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 88

            ‘What are you thinking?’
            ‘I’m thinking we scare the crap out of someone who deserves it,’ Elle replies, her eyes glinting.
            ‘Why are you helping?’ Yates asks. ‘You don’t even know who I am?’
            ‘ I know enough about you to know you could use a good friend,’ she replies.
            ‘What did he do?’ Graham asks.
            ‘He made me feel insignificant,’ Yates replies.
            A lot of the times we look at people who’ve been abused. We tiptoe around them and think we can’t ask some things. But how can we ever help if we never ask?
            ‘But what do we do about Teague?’ I ask.
            ‘He’ll turn up,’ Elle says. ‘Things you’re looking for always turn up when you clean up a mess. Finding stuff 101.’
            ‘But what do we do about all this?’ Yates asks. ‘I can’t leave it, I just can’t. It’s important, I know it is.’
            ‘We’ll come back to it,’ I say. ‘We’ll work out what it all means.’
            He looks down. A life’s work crammed into a day.

            ‘Okay,’ he says. ‘But we take the manuscript with us.’

No comments:

Post a Comment