Friday 24 October 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 267

Elle looks at me. I notice the eyebrows pressed together and the way she absently pulls on her cardigan sleeves. ‘What’s wrong?’
            ‘Don’t you think that’s going to be the first place they look for us?’
            ‘Who?’
            She raises her eyebrows as though it should be obvious. ‘Windermere and her people. How do we know they’re not already coming?’
            ‘It’s sixty years in the future,’ I say. ‘How do we know they’re even still around.’
            Even as I say it I know I’m silly to even think the words. The dead have no life expectancy.
            ‘Well where can we go? Somewhere with a lot of space.’
            We think for a second. Sandra waits with anticipation. She expects us to come out with the perfect place to support a hundred people all at once.
My mind draws a blank. The commotion is raising all around us. There are more police now, and fire engines. The woman we saved from the car is still speaking to someone, though she seems to have calmed somewhat. Where can we go? An abandoned apartment block? That’d be nice – Ghost Towers we could call it. Or Spooky Heights. I wish I could ask Benjamin. I start and think he might be in Central Park even now. Has he continued the same routine? Has he been waiting for me for our game of chess for the past sixty years?
Just as I’m drawing a blank, Yates perks up.
‘Where’s the last place Windermere will come looking for us?’
‘Pet home? Refuge centre? Anywhere with nice people,’ Elle grumbles.
‘Thacker,’ he replies. ‘We go to Thacker’s house.’

Yates greets my stare with a sense of enthusiasm I’m not accustomed to finding in him. Thacker’s house was big, but it also contained Thacker, the woman who sent us to the Doldrums in the first place. What if we get there and she responds by sending us back?

No comments:

Post a Comment