Friday 24 October 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 268

‘What if she’s waiting there?’ I ask.
‘Then we face her,’ Yates says. ‘She has to answer for what she did.’
‘So who’s side are we on?’ Elle asks. ‘Because it’s starting to sound like we’re with Windermere?’
‘We’re on our own side.’ I reply a lot quicker than I expect of myself. ‘We’ve got involved in a lot of stuff and we have to stop it all one way or another. I’m sick of people sending us places, making us do things. This woman killed us when we were already dead. I think we should get some payback.’
‘Excuse me,’ Sandra explains. ‘Your revenge mission sounds very exciting, but what about all these people here? Are you really going to be dragging them along with you?’
‘I’ve already thought of that,’ Yates says. ‘We can’t do this alone, Easton. We’re going to need some help.’
‘I think I know where he’s going with this,’ Elle groans, placing her hand against her forehead. ‘Are you sure we should be doing this, Yates. After everything he did?’
‘Oh God,’ I say. ‘Not Graham.’
Yates goes to jump to his boyfriend’s defence.
‘Is he still you boyfriend?’ I ask. ‘What’s the relationship rule when one of the parties is kidnapped after a big argument? So much has happened since then? Sixty years of things have happened.’
‘But we have to try. You said yourself Graham could be brilliant if he applied himself. This could be a chance for him.’
‘I’m sorry, who’s Graham?’ asks Sandra.
‘Yates’s boyfriend,’ Elle explains. ‘He was alive but figured out how to switch to the dead side and back again.’
‘Sounds like an impressive boy.’
‘He’s an idiot.’
‘An impressive idiot,’ Yates defends.
‘Impressively idiotic,’ Elle mutters.
‘He did have a lot of equipment lying around,’ I say, acting the mediator. ‘If he still has it that          is.’
              ‘Be that as it may, you can’t drag a hundred people around a world they don’t know,’ Sandra says. ‘They’ve been through enough.’

No comments:

Post a Comment