Friday 24 October 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 270

It strikes me how well Sandra knew all these people, how much she must be hurting inside after losing so many.
‘They got tired of waiting,’ explains one man with an arm around his partner. ‘After everything, I can’t blame them. Where’s Teague? A lot of us would like to talk to him.’
‘We’ll be finding Teague, you mark my words,’ Sandra replies with fire in her eyes. I’d like to talk to the man myself. Still the knot of quilt squirms in my stomach and I don’t think it will go away. But then, should I feel bad? I mistrusted Teague with good reason. It didn’t mean he had to switch back to his old ways just because I thought he might. Even so, my excuse doesn’t help me unclench.
‘We’re going to go somewhere safe,’ Elle explains. ‘Just while we find out what’s happened.’
‘We want to go back,’ someone shouts, a woman’s voice from the back of the crowd. ‘We didn’t choose this.’
My anger rises at the injustice of it all. I didn’t choose this for these people either and now they want me to fix it. They’ll stand there like sheep waiting to be led, and then complain when they don’t like the direction they’re taken in; never considering that they could lead themselves.
‘By all means, feel free to leave,’ I say before I stop myself. ‘I didn’t want this for any of you, but we’re going to do our best to make sure you all find a home where you want it.’ I pause before saying. ‘This world isn’t perfect, but no world was. I was forced to become a member of yours but I met some brilliant people. Isn’t that all that matters?’

Elle reaches over and squeezes my arm. In that second I consider how far I’ve come. From the day I died in a car crash to now. The Easton of a year ago would have never stood up for himself, or even spoke in front of a crowd of people. I’ve grown. And not through easy means, but then I guess no one does. If this isn’t alive then I don’t know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment