Friday 24 October 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 269

‘Sandra’s right, Easton,’ Elle says.
I press my fingers to my temples. Another decision. And once again I’m asked to decide people’s futures when I don’t even know my own.
‘How about this,’ I suggest. ‘We take everyone to Yates’s house. We can travel a couple of miles down the road so Windermere doesn’t notice any activity there if she’s watching or she can in fact do that. Then us three go to find Graham.’
Sandra nods. She still frowns but her nod shows some sign of agreement.
‘Sounds like a plan,’ Elle says. ‘Now, who’s going to explain to this lot how to travel?’
‘How about you explain it to me and I’ll show them?’ Sandra suggests.
I launch into the explanation of travelling, how we can step through the fabric of the universe as if we were crossing miles in less than a second.  I explain the Edge and how you can be falling and know you’re moving forward at the same time. I don’t mention that we can revisit our own memories. One step at a time.
‘And you’re sure this is safe?’ she says.
‘Everyone does it,’ Elle replies.
‘That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s safe or a good idea.’
‘Trust us, it’s safe. We’ll all go together the first time.’
Sandra looks dubious. ‘Are you sure there’s no other way? We all just got here in a similar way and lost most of our party.’ She looks down for a second as though she’s just realised what she said. ‘It’ll be hard to convince people to do the same thing again.’
‘It’ll be this or walking,’ Yates says. ‘And it’s a long way from here.’
            Sandra acquiesces and we cross to the group. As we reach them, Sandra picks up the pace.
            ‘Where are Richard and Beth?’ she asks. She casts around. ‘And Fernando?’

No comments:

Post a Comment