Wednesday 3 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 242


                The three men are needed elsewhere and are hailed by a shout from across the square. They make their excuses and promise to meet us after the recital. I turn to Yates.

                ‘Tarquin’s going to hate us isn’t he.’

                Yates nods. ‘Probably. But it’s not like you’re leading an exodus. He can’t make you out to be Moses or something.’

                ‘I’m not leading anyone?’ I reply. ‘I just want to go and people are following.’

                ‘You mean the definition of leading people.’ Yates smiles. ‘Like it or not, Easton. You’re a leader. You  jumped in to save me for one, that’s some pretty strong evidence. You know what’s right.’

                I’m taken aback by his complimentary honesty. ‘I-I just try to do the best thing, I never want to cause any trouble. And really, don’t you think Elle’s the leader in this group?’

                Yates laughs. ‘Just because you’re a leader doesn’t mean you’re the strongest out of us.’

                I have to agree there. Elle’s resilience to carry on living shows her strength more than anything. I resolve once more to help her find her father, even if it’s just to see him alive and well wherever he’s now stationed.

                As though she were summoned by the very mention of her name, her bush of pink hair sweeps between us.

                ‘Are you two just going to stand here all day?’ she asks. ‘This thing’s going to start in a minute.’

No comments:

Post a Comment