Wednesday 3 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 246


                ‘Thank you,’ I say. ‘I turn to leave.’

                ‘Don’t worry about Tarquin, Easton,’ Sandra blurts out.

                I turn back. She looks sheepish, like she’s spoken out of turn.

                ‘I’m not,’ I say. ‘Well, I don’t want to upset anyone.’

                She gives me a small, sad smile. ‘Tarquin was very lost in life,’ she says. ‘This place gives him purpose. He likes to help people, he’s really not out to hurt.’

                ‘I never thought he was,’ I reply. ‘I hope he knows that.’

                ‘He does. I just want you to know why he’s here. He’s an excellent judge of character and when he saw you and your friends, he really thought you’d stay.’
                I start to talk but she cuts me off. ‘I know you don’t want to. This place is really not for everyone, and I’d never try and convince you to stay. I just want you to know that this place if for the lost. The wanderers who didn’t think they’d ever have a place to go. It might be simple, and seem empty, but really, there aren’t many places more full to us. I hope you understand.’

No comments:

Post a Comment