Saturday 13 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 248

Chapter Thirty-Four

            I cross the town in a matter of minutes, going against the grain. Crowds of excited people all with the same goal. To see happy children singing happily, led by their teacher. I may not know what to do with my new life, but I know I have to stop Teague ruining this happy place for these people.
            I reach the house in the corner of the town and notice the quiet around me. There are no children to be seen. There’s a rattling of the door and Teague emerges. There are no locks here. It’s one of the small details that makes the town different. There are no secrets here. No secrets apart from him.
            ‘Teague,’ I say. I don’t know what I’m going to follow with. I’m standing in a small square. He stands on the doorstep. It’s a standoff in the wild-west, the sand and whitewash houses complete the picture. I just hope that my presence might stop him in whatever he’s planning, or at the very least find out what he plans to do so I can put an end to it.
            ‘Easton,’ he proclaims in that saccharine voice he must put on. ‘Why aren’t you in the square with everyone else?’
            ‘You know why,’ I reply. ‘I want to make sure you’re not going to hurt anyone.’

            He smiles and shakes his head. ‘Why would I do that? These people saved me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment