Saturday 13 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 249

‘And I want you to leave them alone. After this recital of yours we can go home, you me, Elle and Yates. Then we can go our separate ways.’
            ‘You don’t understand, Easton. I love it here.’
            There’s a look in his eye. Like he’s enjoying himself. He’s an obstinate bully, a big brother who enjoys mocking me.
            ‘You don’t realise how well I know you. Teague wouldn’t be happy here.’
            ‘Before I was betrayed you mean? By the smartest man who ever lived?’
            ‘Woman,’ I say.
            ‘What’s the difference?’
            There’s a glimpse of the real him. He’s always been cracked. It’s a case of pressing my fingers between them and pulling. Eventually the armour he’s put on will fall away.
            ‘You were hurt by Thacker, I get that, I was too.’
            ‘Really?’ he says crossing his arms. ‘You devoted a large portion of your life to a person and then they stabbed you in the back. That happened to you?’

            ‘I’m not going to argue with you, Teague. I’m tired of arguing.’

No comments:

Post a Comment