Wednesday 3 September 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 244


                Surprisingly, the place is deserted. I would have thought that the children would have been practising there. Did they have a school hall? I recall my own primary school years. Hymn practice every Friday in the hall, sitting cross legged on wooden floors so well used they’d lost all their shine. I blame these days for the crick in my back I’ve had for years.

                Walking around the place it becomes clear that they have nothing of a hall size. I exit again. The school is in the centre of the town so I can choose to search in any direction.

                I have a brainwave. Where does Teague live? Surely if he’s anywhere it would be there?

                I head back towards the people. I see Sandra milling around at the edge of the square. I make for her.

                Her face lights up on my arrival. She’s certainly schoolteacherly in appearance. With round cheeks and a helpful, inquisitive expression, she recalls someone who taught me during my own school life. An old favourite I’d long forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment