Sunday 11 May 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 121

Chapter Eighteen
            Elle stands, crosses the room in a single stride and grasps Teague by the scruff of his dirty old coat. Hes caught off balance and jerks to his feet to prevent himself from falling backwards.
            She drives him into the table in the middle of the room, rattling every instrument on it.
                  Alright Mr Melodramatic, she snarls. Youre going to give us some answers. right now. Whats happened to Graham?
            Teague overcomes his shock quickly. He adopts his default expression of quiet malcontent, twisting his nose and staring at a point about Elles shoulder.
                  Your friend has travelled as only a spirit should. I think it should be quite obvious that while a spirit is readily able to travel great distances in a fraction of a second, the human body is not.
                  So whats happened to him? I demand, joining Elle. A straight answer, not a lecture.
                  He is falling apart, Teague replies, as though hes discussing the weather. Every single atom will lose its bond. Hell exist, but in what form I cant be sure.
            I stare at him and he meets my eye. Those dark green eyes that I cant trust. But why would he lie now?
                  And what do we do to fix it? Elle shakes him to draw his attention back to her.
                  This isnt how it works, kids, Teague says. Do you think Im going to  do everything you say just because you demand it? I have done everything youve asked of me so far. You set me free and Ill save your friends life.
                  Well thats not going to happen, I state. If we free you, youll be gone. You earn trust, Teague.
            Elle nods her approval at my words.
                  Well then its fairly simple, Teague says. You let your friend crumble into nothing. If I die as a result of thispredicament, then Ill simply exist as a spirit. I can find my way back. If Graham dematerialises, then good luck finding him to do anything about it.
            Graham groans loudly. Im hoping hes not listening too closely. I turn away from Teague, pressing my hands to my temples. How can I trust him? The man who isnt afraid of murder. Who was willing to kill me good and proper and send me god knows where?

                  Time is ticking, Easton, he says. I suspect that Graham has minutes in this current form.

No comments:

Post a Comment