Friday 16 May 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 136

                ‘Not sidekick,’ I reply. ‘Partner in crime-fighting?’
                ‘Better,’ she says. She jumps up. ‘We should probably ask the kissy twins if they want to join.’
                We walk into the house and find them in their usual spot, on the sofa, fingers interlocked, legs intertwined.
                ‘We’re going out,’ I say. ‘Fancy joining?’
                They look at each other, it really does put a smile on my face seeing Yates contented. I know if I closed my eyes I’d see his body light up with it. When I look at Graham though I feel the rising annoyance. Yates nods his head as if he wants to venture outside. And that’s a big step for him.
                As soon as he does it, Graham steps in.
                ‘Oh, we were going to watch that film weren’t we,’ he says, visibly squeezing Yates’s hand.
                ‘Oh, we were,’ Yates says, settling back into the seat.
                ‘Can’t even be bothered anymore,’ Elle mutters and walks through the door.
                Graham follows her with his eyes, the corners of his mouth twitching.
                ‘Make sure you get out at some point,’ I say. ‘I hate to sound like your mum but…y’know.’
                The pair of them stare at me. The message is clear, the awkwardness is thick on the air, like too much butter spread on toast. My words trail off because I know they’re waiting for me to leave.
                ‘Well, see you then,’ I say.
                I’m sure they’re all over each other as soon as I step through the door.
                ‘I hate honeymooners,’ says Elle. ‘Come on, I’ve got an idea.’
                She holds out her hand and I gladly take it. Suddenly the smell of the country air has become a cloying stench in my nostrils. A change of scenery is just what I need.
                I let her pull me into the Edge and take a breath of air when we step out.
                ‘Central Park,’ I say. ‘Nice, but why?’
                ‘New York,’ she says. ‘All we’ve got to do is find a police station, have a look at their noticeboard and we’re in the money. You know if we were real crime fighters, we’d have a police radio.’ She raises her eyebrows. The way she does when she’s being herself.
                ‘Elle, no,’ I say. She walks off ahead of me. ‘I said no!’
                I look around. It’s Thursday. Tomorrow I’d be back here for my weekly game of draughts with Benjamin.

No comments:

Post a Comment