Sunday 25 May 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 143

              ‘And who exactly makes these rules?’ I ask. ‘Do you put a vote out through the Edge or something.’
                ‘It’s not that simple,’ she says. ‘We’re a democracy, we show representation on all walks of life, age, gender, sexuality. We decide on a vote that is representative of the population.’
                ‘But it’s not the population,’ Elle says. ‘I don’t remember being asked.’
                ‘If you give us a way to do that then be my guest,’ Windermere says. ‘The fact remains that we exist to stop people like Teague, and to stop people from drawing attention to us from others like him.’
                Elle holds her hands up. She sits back, not desiring to be snapped at again.
                ‘Look, Miss Windermere,’ I say, attempting to find a voice of reason. ‘We’re just looking to live our afterlives, we don’t want any part of this council. Or anything to do with Teague. You do know he nearly killed me and my friend? I don’t ever want to see him again.’
                ‘Of course, we understand that, Easton,’ Windermere reasons. ‘But you might be the only one who can help us. Just tell us how you stopped him before.’
                ‘Well it wasn’t exactly intended,’ I say.
                ‘Easton,’ Elle warns.
                ‘It’s alright,’ I say. ‘If I tell her maybe they’ll leave us alone.’ I nod in Windermere’s direction, searching for confirmation. Windermere dips her head in return.
                ‘I found him in Rome,’ I say. I quickly explain my touching his handprint and the connection we shared. How I was able to control him because he wanted an end to it.
                Windermere nods. ‘And would you be willing to undergo this connection again, in a controlled environment? We recovered all the man’s equipment from the Hotel Fontana.’
                ‘Can’t someone else?’ I ask. ‘I can show you how.’
                ‘We’d much rather it was you,’ she says.
                ‘Why?’
                ‘We have our reasons.’
                ‘No,’ I say. ‘No way. Don’t try and go all cloak and dagger on me just because you feel like it. If I do anything I want to know why I’m doing it.’
                Windermere sighs. ‘In that case, I’m afraid I’m going to have to take you into custody,’ she says.
                ‘Oh yeah? How are you planning on doing that? I don’t think handcuffs work on the dead,’ Yates says.

No comments:

Post a Comment