Sunday 11 May 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 127


Chapter Nineteen
                  I always feel an atmosphere in the room after a big argument. The memory of Graham's words hangs on the air like a bad smell. I never like to be the one who says something first but I always feel like it is. Crack some joke, try to make someone feel better, I was always quite good at it, but now I have no idea what to say.
                  'Honestly, Yates,' Elle says. Her hand still on his arm. 'Don't listen to a word he says. He's such a dick.'
                  'Dick, isn't the word,' Yates says, layering scorn on the word like it tastes dirty. 'I saved his life.'
                  'He'll come round,' I say, admiring Elle's tone, the way she can appear sympathetic and utterly on Yates's side all at once.
                  'What if I don't want him to come around?'
                  'Is there anything we can do, Easton?' Elle asks.
                  'First thing I'm going to do is slap him,' I reply. 'After than we'll think about it. I'm not having him talk to anyone like that.'
                  My fists are balled so tight I think I can feel my nails digging into my skin. I storm across the room and throw the door open.
                  Graham stands on the other side of it, leaning against the wall. He looks as angry as I feel.
                  'Oh, so you listened then?' I say. 'Not gone downstairs and fallen to pieces?'
                  'Well, I don't want to hurt him either,' he replies.
                  'You care about Yates?' I snap. 'Really? After that performance? Stop kidding yourself, Graham.'
                  'Look,' he says. 'I snap sometimes, I have a quick temper.'
                  'And that's an excuse?' I say. 'Go back in there right now and apologise.'
                  'Alright, Dad.' Graham snorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment