Sunday 11 May 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 123

What have you done? he asks.
                  ‘Nothing,’ he says. ‘Only saved your friend.’
                  I look to Graham. His face is screwed up, his teeth clenched. He holds his side like something is about to burst out of it.
                  ‘Tell me the truth, Teague,’ I say. ‘For once in your miserable life.’
                  ‘I’m so glad we met, Easton,’ he says. ‘I just know this is the start of a beautiful friendship.’
                  ‘Your ideas on friendship are extremely twisted.’
                  ‘Perspective,’ he says. ‘Your friend is saved, if you make a decision. The only way to hold his atoms together if is you cross him to your side.’ He swivels the laptop round. ‘The only way to do that is if you share your being with another.’
                  A window on the laptop shows three lines of what looks like a computer code. HTML. Long lines of indecipherable letters, numbers, slashes and dots. It’s another language.
                  ‘If you look closely, I’ve made it easy for you,’ he says.
                  At the end of each code is a letter. E, Y and E again.
                  ‘You’re at the top,’ he says to me. ‘Simply select a letter and Graham will be saved.’
                  ‘But he’ll be dead!’ I exclaim. ‘How is that a solution?’
                  ‘It’s the only solution,’ he replies. ‘A warning. You must never leave each other’s side. You will have him bound to him forever, otherwise he’ll befall the same fate as I was going to.’
                  He smiles, like the worst fairy godmother in history. Offering a magic solution with the worst sting in the tail.
                  ‘Farewell,’ he says.
                  Without warning, he slips an item from the side of the laptop, a sort of memory stick I hadn’t paid attention to before. He flicks a switch on the top of it and is gone in the blink of an eye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment