Sunday 11 May 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 130

                  Before long we're strolling outside licking multi-coloured ice creams. It's different to ice cream I've had before. More refreshing, like having the coldest drink on the hottest day.
                  We sit down on the edge of the fountain.
                  Graham is on my right and Yates in on Elle's left, meaning they're as far away from each other as they can be. I want to know if it's Yates being rightfully annoyed or Graham being Graham.
                  'Tense evening,' Elle says.
                  'Why were you here, Elle?' I ask.
                  'What do you mean?'
                  'I just bumped into you as I came barrelling out of the hotel, and you came with me. I never asked why you were here in the first place. You could have been visiting a sick relative for all I know.'
                  'Just wandering,' says Elle. 'Seriously, seeing all the places I wanted to see. Finding strangers to have adventure with.'
                  Maybe I've been hanging around with too many people like Teague, but I don't trust her words.
                  'I say we help you find Penny,' she says.
                  'You guys don't want to be doing that,' I say.
                  'We want to help, Easton. We were talking about it when you were gone.'
                  'Even Graham?' I ask.
                  'Oi,' says Graham. 'I'm not evil, you know.'
                  I hit him and he nearly falls back into the fountain. His arms flail around and splash the water. The remaining tourists in the square turn to look.
                  'Oh, that's not going to get old,' Graham says, poising his arms to splash the water again.
                  Elle rolls her eyes and reaches across me. One sharp shove and Graham falls into the water, backside first.
                  A few people start. No one screams. They must just think the fountain's malfunctioned.
                  Graham surfaces and ejects water from his mouth. 'Was that necessary?'

                  'Completely and utterly,' Elle smiles as we crack up laughing, licking our ice cream in Rome on the perfect evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment