Monday 12 May 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 131

            Graham climbs out of the water and sits down.
            ‘The best way we can find her is to split up,’ Elle says, raising one eyebrow, deep in thought.
            ‘Maybe we should stick together,’ Yates says.
            ‘Look, Yates,’ says Graham, ‘don’t worry, I’m nice, honest.’
            ‘That remains to be seen,’ says Yates. ‘Look, I want to find Penny too, but hadn’t we better look around for an end to our…predicament?’
            ‘But the only person we know who knows anything about Ghost Physics is Teague?’ I say. ‘Unless Benjamin knows a thing, but the first time we know where he’s going to be is next Friday?’
            ‘There might be something in Thacker’s notes!’ Yates says, lifting the bag as if he’s just remembered for the first time. ‘Though…’
            ‘What?’ Elle asks. ‘We can study them if you want?’
            ‘Just, I don’t want them to go out of order. God knows what he’s done to them.’
            ‘I can help,’ Graham says.
            We all stop and look at him.
            ‘What? Like I can’t do a nice thing. I owe you.’
            I look Graham in the eye. I’ve yet to develop telepathy in my ghostly arsenal, but I tried to communicate to him the idea to behave, to be humble for once in his life.
            ‘You’d help me?’ he asks.
            ‘Of course,’ he says. ‘Two heads are better than one.’
            Yates considers it. Me and Elle look back and forth between them.
            ‘Alright,’ he says. ‘And while we study, you two can go and look for Penny.’
            ‘Are you sure?’ I say. I feel selfish. But everyone here wants to help me. Does that mean I should be selfless and help them?
            ‘We’ll report back every day,’ Elle says. ‘There’s an Irish bar called Finnegan’s near the Coliseum that’s pretty quiet during the day.’
            ‘We’ll be there,’ Graham says.
            Yates stays quiet. I wonder was he thinking of returning to his house.

            ‘OK, plan,’ Elle confirms. ‘Right, science boy. Where to?’

No comments:

Post a Comment