Sunday 25 May 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 145

              Windermere shakes her head and smiles. ‘You’ll learn. Accepting your death opens so many doors, Easton. You’ll thank me for this one day.’
                She crosses to the door and opens it. Removing an old key from her pocket she closes the door behind her and locks it with the loud squeal of rusty metal on metal. The sound makes me grit my teeth together.
                ‘I wouldn’t try travelling through the door,’ she says. ‘It would be pointless. I’ll come back in an hour when you’ve had time to think.’
                She leaves and I realise I’m quite alone. Of course I try to travel through the bars. I find they’re as solid as they can be. I can put my arms through them but that’s it.
                ‘Hello?’ I cry. ‘Elle, Yates?’
                The whistling wind is my only response.
                I cast around, looking for a way out. The room contains the remains of a bed, a plank of wood held up by two chains and some straw on the ground. They haven’t even granted me comforts. Her words echo in my head. We don’t need to feel the cold. But I do, I do every day. I wake up in the morning and feel the warmth of a quilt on my back. After that I go outside and sit on the garden chair. Every morning whatever the weather. I’ve sat with the sun on my back and relished my lack of sunburn. I’ve felt the rain on my skin and a gale force wind that refuses to knock me down. I am alive, I refuse to accept my death.
                I close my eyes and reach out. Thankfully, that power remains mine. I reach out and try to find Elle and Yates. Their consciousnesses are so familiar to me now, I pick them out of the crowd. Yates is on the floor below me and Elle above. The problem with the Edge is that it shows me spirits, not where they are. I’m astounded by the amount of people above me. High above us there is the bustle of hundreds of spirits running back and forth live bees in a hive.
                I realise how far away from us they are and conclude that we’re being kept deep below the earth.
                I close my eyes and spread further. Come on, Graham. I think.  

No comments:

Post a Comment