Tuesday 1 July 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 181

                After what feels like an hour of climbing I reach the crest. I straighten up and take as deep a breath I can in the close heat that feels thick in the air.



                I look down the other side. For a moment I rejoice. The bricks and mortar of civilisation. After a second of inspection I see that the buildings before me crumble like they’re made of the sand they’re built on.

                I wonder how long ago this place supported life. I see a well in the middle of the town. Dry with a long forgotten hut over the top.

                It was a town of some size at some point in its history. Looking to my left and right I can just see the edges. The quiet desolation and the encroachment of the desert is peaceful, eerie and terrifying all at once. Nothing wins but sand out here.

                I slide down the slope and enter the first house I come to. Some wood has survived. What looks like the remnants of a table and what might have been a cooking pot. A hearth stands crumbling on the far wall. A family once lived here. But they were caused to leave. Because of the desert? Or some other horror.

                I exit the house and make my way to the town centre. A large square where the buildings stand taller. It’s hard to tell, but I think the biggest one might have been a town hall of sorts. Pillars stand at the top of steps and then the walls just stop at waist height.

                I cross to the well at the centre and glance inside. A paranoid part of me expects something large and horrific to come swooping out to attack me but nothing does. All I see is a round hole of darkness reaching into the earth. I glance up to see a long rope wound around the spool that remains intact.
                I look down again and think I can see something at the bottom. The white round glint of something. As I continue to stare I notice the long line of connecting joints and the cage around the middle. I think it’s a skeleton.

No comments:

Post a Comment