Tuesday 15 July 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 193


Chapter Twenty-Eight

                ‘Welcome to the Doldrums, Easton!’ says a voice to my left.

                Suddenly the thousands of smiling faces make me a little uncomfortable. I’m not sure I like all their eyes on me.

                The man wears a wide brimmed hat and a long robe. His beard is thick and black and his eyes stare at me from the edge of the fabric, warm and excited.

                ‘I’m Tarquin,’ he says.

                ‘Don’t call it the Doldrums, Tarquin, that’s so miserable,’ a woman nudges him. ‘We can call it what we like here, we’re not all miseries.’

                I notice the ring of buildings around us and notice we’re in a village square. The same village square I saw the ruins of. The well I died in stands tall and proud to my left. The town hall, complete with pillars and shining windows is behind them.

                There’s a parting of the ways and a pink ball of excitement tumbles towards me. She catches me in a bearhug and I feel the pull as she tries to lift me off the ground.

                ‘Easton!’ Elle says into my shoulder.

                ‘Elle!’ I say. ‘How did you get here?’
                ‘Same way you did,’ she says, setting me down. ‘The singing, lifting me out of the desert. A doctor led me here, it was Tarquin.’ She smiles at him.

No comments:

Post a Comment