Tuesday 15 July 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 188

                ‘Why won’t they?’ I ask. ‘I know I don’t want to stay here forever.’

                ‘Then you are a brave one,’ he replies. ‘Not all of us are so lucky. People fear the abyss. That place where we’re no one and no one knows us. Not existing is the epitome of the unknown. We all have that fear. I know you have it too.’

                ‘I do, but I also fear being stuck, like this place. Why do I keep dying?’

                ‘Because you believe this place can hurt you.’
 
                I consider the possibility. Is it plausible that I could stroll through this desert as though I were a spirit? Despite how hungry I am, and the thirst, and the burn of the sun on the back of my neck, could I really just walk on? Impervious to everything that could harm me? The idea reminds me of Windermere, and here ghosts who feel no pain. I swore not to be like them, to cling to the ounce of life I’d been allowed to retain.

No comments:

Post a Comment