Tuesday 15 July 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 186

                ‘What are you doing here?’

                I step back, startled and point my finger at him as though this simple act will protect me from harm. Usually sight of Benjamin wouldn’t scare me. I have memories of a hundred games of chess in Central Park. Here, in this unknown place, I know that the man isn’t Benjamin, so his resemblance sets an unease within me.

                ‘I’m here to help,’ he says.

                The voice sounds so much like him I’m almost fooled into believing it.

                I take a step towards the bus stop. In three more I’m by its side. I reach out and touch the pole showing bus times. It’s gritty to touch, like its stood here forever.

                ‘This can’t be real,’ I say. ‘None of it.’

                ‘This place is as real as you want it to be,’ Benjamin replies. ‘The same as the afterlife at any stage.’

                ‘What are you saying? That the whole of last year was in my head?’

                ‘Sit down with me, Easton.’ He pats the bench beside him.

                ‘What and the bus shelter collapses and I die? Or you pull a knife out of your cane and you stab me in the chest? I’ve not been here long but I get the gist. Things appear, I die. I’d rather stand here and be careful.’

                ‘What is dying?’ Benjamin muses. He digs into the sand with his cane, drawing a circle through the grains.

No comments:

Post a Comment