Tuesday 15 July 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 194

                ‘So you people bring us across,’ he says. ‘How do you know?’

                ‘When you’re in tune with the Edge you can sense people lost in it, ripples that course to all of us. Some people ignore it of course, but others can do some good with it.’

                ‘Easton,’ Elle says. ‘I think this place is the Edge. It’s the land in between.’

                I marvel at the idea of it. That a whole world could exist alongside our own one. Every time I close my eyes I get a glimpse into it. The universe is wide and confusing, but ultimately, this is wonderful.

                I smile. ‘Where’s Yates?’

                Elle’s face falls. ‘I…um… we haven’t found him yet.’

                My face falls. Tarquin reaches over. ‘Don’t worry yourself, everyone turns up eventually.’ He notices that my face doesn’t change much. ‘Seriously, we rarely let anyone slip through our fingers, unless they choose to leave themselves.’

                ‘Come,’ says the woman. ‘We’ll find you lodgings. We’ll find your friend.’
                The crowd parts to let us through. Occasionally someone stops me and shakes my hand, or claps me on the back. Of everything I’ve experienced so far, this is the strangest.

No comments:

Post a Comment