Tuesday 22 July 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 202

                ‘So you’re just here for the teaching? No agenda, no evil plots afoot? Nothing.’

                ‘Got it in one,’ he says. ‘And I’d advise you join me here. It really brings a sense of peace.’

                I look into his murky eyes. Can I detect deception? Either he’s completely into his new role or he’s the world’s greatest not-living actor.

                He takes us aside from the children. ‘Look, I understand that I might not be trustworthy in your eyes, but see it from my point of view. Robin Thacker, the person I worshipped above all others, betrayed me. Why on earth would I want to go back to that place? Did you hear the singing? The togetherness in music? It brought us through. This place exists like a hive mind. They stand as a herd of humanity. Tell me of one place on earth where you’d find that?’

                A part of me agrees with him. It’s the limits of this place that don’t agree with me. The lack of science is an example. It seems to be living for the sake of living and I’ve always wanted to live in support of doing; of making myself and the world better in some small way.

                ‘Stay with me here a while,’ he says. ‘I’ve got the children writing their own songs in honour of the people here.’

                I look at Elle. She shrugs as if to say she’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. We can’t burst out into the square and start rebuking the town’s newest saint.

No comments:

Post a Comment