Tuesday 22 July 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 201


Chapter Twenty-Nine

                ‘Roger’s taken to teaching like a duck to water,’ Tarquin laughs. ‘Hello, children, don’t pay attention to us.’

                The children chatter on our arrival. A distraction from the lesson.

                ‘Come now children, settle down,’ says Teague, in a very un-Teague-like voice.

                Each child has a stone tablet in front of them, with scratches of writing.

                Our shocked faces are clearly a cause of concern for Tarquin. ‘What’s wrong?’ he asks. ‘Do you know each other.’

                It’s Teague who answers first. ‘I think I’d remember, Tarquin.’ He crosses to the back of the room to stand with us. ‘Keep scribing children, a scribing hand is a happy hand. Such little treasures,’ he smiles, putting a hand to his heart. He makes a face like a doting parent and I think I might be sick.

                Elle laughs, but I can tell it’s fake. Tarquin and Sandra don’t pick up on it. ‘Just in awe of a teacher at work,’ she lies.

                ‘The best person to take you through things here,’ Sandra says. ‘He’s had the children working twice as hard already.’

                The pair of them smile and say their goodbyes, leaving us in Teague’s capable hands.

                ‘Roger?’ I ask. ‘Really?’

                ‘I felt it was time for a shift in priorities,’ he says. ‘I felt that ‘Roger’ befitted a man who dedicated his life to teaching writing to the young of the after.’

                Elle raises her eyebrow so it disappears behind her pink fringe. ‘What are you pulling here, Teague? We’re not stupid.’

                ‘Don’t let my old ways blind you…’

                ‘What your old ways of a couple of hours ago?’ I ask.
                ‘Hours?’ he asks. ‘I’ve been here a week, my dear. Time, it appears, does not keep the same company in this place.’

No comments:

Post a Comment