Tuesday 15 July 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 189

                ‘But is life the ability to feel pain?’

                ‘You’re reading my thoughts,’ I notice. ‘How did you do that?’

                Benjamin holds his hands out as if I should already know the answer.

                ‘You’re me?’ I suggest. ‘I’ve created you with my mind? Maybe the heat has got to me.’

                ‘Consider that I am part of you, how does that explain my knowing facts about this place? You’re clever, Easton, but not psychic.’

                I look into his smiling brown eyes. I should know the answer, it’s staring me in the face but I can’t get there. It is very hot.

                ‘I’ve connected with you,’ he explains. ‘Benjamin was the man who helped you when you left the world of the living, so that’s the image your mind has made me. You can’t see me if you’ve never seen me before. Yet I’m here so your mind fills in the blanks.’

                ‘So you’re here but you’re not here,’ I say. ‘Wonderful.’

                ‘I can’t be there in person because this world won’t allow it, you are in a state of flux because you haven’t chosen to come over yet. All I can do is offer you the options.’

                ‘If I cross over to you, can I come back? Will I see my world again?’

                ‘That, I cannot tell you.’ He sighs. ‘I am one of those who stayed. Rooted to the ground by fear of the leap of faith. People have left us here but I can’t say where they went. If they went onto something better, or they fell into that dark abyss.’

                ‘Are my friends there with you?’

No comments:

Post a Comment