Tuesday 15 July 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 187

                ‘Don’t go all philosophical on me,’ I plead.

                ‘I’m not philosophical, I’m asking, what is dying?’

                ‘When your body gives up on life,’ I say. ‘When your organs stop functioning and your brain switches off.’

                ‘And let me ask you, as a spirit, do you have any of these things?’

                ‘Well I’m not very spiritual at the moment,’ I retort. ‘I’m hungry and thirsty and I don’t know why?’

                ‘Because you think you’re alive. As humans, we always have a choice. This place is a choice. It’s a choice between living, dying and staying stuck in the hell that lies between.’

                ‘So it’s purgatory?’
 
                Benjamin chuckles. ‘We do like adding labels to things don’t we. Purgatory or a purgatory of sorts must exist in the minds of men because very few of us are wholly good or completely evil. So we cannot justify us being fast-tracked to a heaven or hell. I’m not sure anyone knows what this place truly is, but the ones who stay here are the ones who are happy to exist at this eternal bus station, waiting for a bus that will never come and take them away.’

No comments:

Post a Comment