Thursday 10 April 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 100

So he’s my supervillain. I think. The Skull to my Iron Captain, the Dr Magorian to my Bullett. Teague is manipulative and powerful and I need to stop him. Quite how I’m to do that, I’m not sure yet. I realise I can escape. I can simply close my eyes and be back with my friends in a blink of them.
                ‘I don’t think so,’ says Teague, still marching forward. I’m quick to lose my breath, but he seems possessed by something that stalls his human qualities. ‘Don’t you think I thought of that.’
                ‘How are you doing that?’ I ask.
                He snorts. ‘You really think you’ll catch me monologueing like that? No, you’re here to remove this connection we share, then you’re on your way and I’ll be on mine.’
                ‘Connection?’ I ask. ‘Is that how you found me.’
                He wheels around and leans close to me. I lean backwards, intimidated by his sudden movement.
                ‘You ask too many questions,’ he say through gritted teeth. ‘Don’t you think I have better things to do than drag you around?’
                ‘Well I don’t know,’ I consider. ‘You won’t tell me.’
                I see his hand twitch. Is he going to hit me? Can ghosts even hit other ghosts? I suppose if we can drink a cup of tea we can do most things. But then is Teague a ghost at all?
                ‘Tell me one thing,’ I say, meeting him squarely in his swampy green eyes. ‘Why didn’t you steal The Alchemist before? If it’s so crucial?’
                ‘Because it’s not exactly at the top of every thief’s hit list,’ he explains with an annoyed quality to his voice. ‘I left it in the museum to keep it safe. I didn’t expect some do-gooder kid to come and steal it to save his weirdo friend.’
                ‘How do you know what I’ve been doing?’ I ask. ‘How long have you been following me?’
                ‘Oh for god’s sake,’ says Teague. He steps back, still holding my wrist in his tight grip. It’s windy up here. Windy enough that I feel like a particularly strong gust might pick me up and wheel me away towards the far distant peaks. I wonder can I feel the cold of the snow on my fingers?
                ‘I don’t need to steal the book to study it,’ he says. ‘You do realise that don’t you? That it would have been a lot easier, and a lot kinder to a hallowed text to bring your friend to it, than endanger it and remove it from the case?’

No comments:

Post a Comment