Monday 21 April 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 108

Chapter Sixteen

                ‘You’re really making a mistake you know,’ Teague warns as we enter the hayfield again.
                ‘And what mistake would that be?’ I snap.
                The moleskin man’s become more of an irritation than a danger. He obviously has talent; he managed to change the state and consistency of every single one of his atoms. He figured out how to jump between life and death, but at what cost? His value for life was clearly non-existent, at least until he becomes concerned with his own.
                ‘Thacker, boy, Thacker!’ he says. ‘It was all there in The Alchemist!’
                ‘So I’ve heard,’ I say. People were drawing perilously close to ruining my favourite novel for me. I wish I could just curl up in a chair and read it, enjoy the story of Cecily as she falls in love with a dead boy, how they run through the London underworld and fend off the pursuers who want to find the fortune of a long dead man. Now, Thacker’s book has become tarnished by being true. People truly want the secrets of a dead man. I can see the appeal, from a living perspective I would have been fascinated on a Yates-ean level. Now, tied together with a madman who wants me dead again to save his own skin, I’d be happy if I never ever heard the name Robin Thacker.
                ‘Such an underappreciated talent,’ Teague muses as we part the grass with our footsteps. ‘All the novels studied for their content and this one was missed. Do you know they thought him mad?'
                ‘I can’t say I’m surprised.’ I layer sarcasm on my words, like too much butter on a piece of toast. I must thank Elle for her infectious mannerisms.
                ‘It taps in on that most human characteristic,’ he says. ‘That pathetic lust for the lost. I’ve heard so many accounts, voices heard in abandoned houses, lonely old folks who hear a voice talking to them. We simply refuse to believe that we cease to be.’ He snorts. ‘I know even the most devout atheist cries for the divine when their last moments approach.’
                ‘Please spare me the lecture,’ I say as I nudge open the front door of the cottage. It’s been left open, this already sets a pool of worry flowing into my chest. ‘And we want to find the lost because we love them. Do you know what that feels like….drop that!’ I snap and bat the remote control from his grasp. It flips over twice in the air before shattering on the ground. I’m guessing about a hundred separate little components fly across the flagstone floor.
               ‘You little idiot!’ he snarls.
                ‘Oh I’m sorry, just living over here,’ I say to him. ‘Don’t try that again.’

No comments:

Post a Comment