Tuesday 15 April 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 104

                I look inside the classroom and there I am, about three years ago looking bored stiff. And there’s Penny, just two rows in front. I walk to the window on the door and look inside. I miss her. Everything that’s happening occupies me so I don’t think about it but I miss her whenever I get a moment’s peace. I hope she’s found friends too.
                I put my hand on the window, meaning to go inside, but a sound to my left stops me.
                I turn and there he is, just as wild looking.
                ‘How did you do this? How are you travelling? It’s impossible.’
                ‘Science gets proven wrong every day, Teague, I guess I just stepped on yours.’
                He snarls at me like a wild animal. Is that the hint of a rash beneath his collar?
                I turn and run, my feet slapping against the floor. I hear him tear after me. His feet are heavy and sound erratic like he’s losing control.
                It doesn’t take long for me to reach the edge of the memory. The blackness engulfs me and I leap forward, letting it embrace me. I’m falling again, but not for long. I re-enter the world, on a grassy hill.
                I stumble slightly but I carry on running. The ground is dry and hard in the height of summer. I only have vague recollections of this day. My mum and dad sit about a hundred metres to my right on a picnic blanket. I sit beside them. I’m about seven or eight and I look content playing with some dinosaurs.
                I don’t really know what my plan is. I didn’t realise he was going to follow me. I whip past trees and over beds of flowers. I remember this place, there’s a big manor house that got converted into a museum years ago and my parents always loved coming here with me. They called it their ‘weekend place’.
                I’m about to stop and try to travel again when Teague appears on the hillside. He trips over and it gives me the chance. The problem with such an open space is that I remember too much of it. Everything we ever see is preserved in our memories. We don’t realise it half the time. This means that the edge of this one will be far away or behind a thick bank of foliage.
                I have to escape him.

No comments:

Post a Comment