Monday 28 April 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 117

                  The shouts grow closer, one particular person looks twice the size of me.
                  ‘Help!’ cries Teague, a manic glint in his swampy eyes. ‘Kidnap.’
                  ‘Trevi Fountain!’ I say, grabbing Graham by the wrist.
                  I see Elle close her eyes and the three of them disappear. I close my own and I’m sure I feel the brush of fingers on the edge of my hood. 
                  I’m so used to the Edge now, I actually let out a sigh of relief as we enter the darkness.
                  It doesn’t take long and Rome greets me like an old friend as we enter the cool evening.
                  The Trevi Fountain at night is a sight to behold. The pale blue water shines orange by the light of the extravagant street lights. Couples pose by the edge, watching a handful of long stemmed roses coloured red and pink. The bustle is in keeping with the evening. The quiet hum of happy holiday goers and old couples out for an evening stroll with their skin stained a warm tan.
                  We make a ragtag group at the top of the steps, once more beside the Hotel Fontana.
                  Graham whistles. ‘Some fountain,’ he remarks.
                  ‘Thinking of writing a travel guide?’ asks Elle. ‘With such detailed observations.’
                  Graham flounders. ‘I was just saying, I mean as fountains go…’
                  ‘Did I say that both you and your friend would be worthy partners?’ asks Teague in a bored drawl. ‘I think I was mistaken.’
                  ‘Hey,’ Elle says, clipping the man round the ear. ‘I’m allowed to pisstake, you are not. My explodey-pants.’
                  I raise my eyebrows.
                  ‘I’m distressed,’ she replies. ‘I’m not running on all cylinders.’ She looks at me. ‘What’s going on?’
                  I quickly explain my adventure to her. I go through the eerie levitation on the hill, the chase through my memories and then our trip to New York. I leave out the moment in Isobel’s living room and Teague smirks at the opportune moment. We shared that moment and that’s the way it will stay. I can’t help but be unnerved that only he knows one of my weaknesses. Elle continues to clip him round the ear at the right moments though so my worry is abated for a second.
                  ‘Basically, when I touched the handprint I connected myself with him,’ I say. ‘We have to find a way to end the connection. If we don’t, he’ll die and I don’t want to know what will happen to me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment