Monday 28 April 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 114

                  I’m more than a little unsettled as we continue into the park with the sun beating down on our invisible backs.
                  I close my eyes and reach out. The amount of people around me shimmers with the dead and alive. I had wondered why it was so busy.
                  We walk forward and I find myself uplifted to be around such an abundance of people who share my state of being. I make a mental note to come back here with Penny when I find her. Maybe I’ll introduce her to all my new friends here. If I find them again.
                  I have an idea. I think and reach out again, this time thinking of Elle and Yates. Before my eyes, everyone seems to dim and two specks appear on the horizon, shining like beacons out of the dark mist. I get excited and think of Penny. The world remains busy and bright with the bustle of the dead walking through the Saturday sun. I’m dismayed for a second. Where is she? Maybe that trick only works short range. If she’s on the other side of the world it’d be near impossible to identity her particular set of atoms out of the mass of everyone else.
                  ‘This way,’ I say. ‘They’re not far.’

No comments:

Post a Comment