Monday 21 April 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 107

                If I’ve learnt anything so far, it would be to appreciate the tiny moments you never think you need to remember. I want to know what we laughed about that day, because those days are the ones you forget, yet the bad ones stick out like beacons, dragging us towards them letting us dwell on them forever. I wish I could forget the bad days, that day on the sofa, and the day I died.
                ‘I know because I’ve made it my life’s work to know,’ he says. ‘I know that there is something afterwards.’
                ‘And how can you prove that, exactly?’ I demand. ‘The mysterious Teague clicks his fingers and I fly away into nothing. Do you understand what you’re asking? I died three days ago and now you’re asking me to die all over again when I find out that life goes on.’
                ‘But I’m dying!’ Teague says. ‘Our connection is…unnatural.’ He takes a second to choose his words. ‘The dead and the living are not supposed to come together like this. When you touched the handprint on the wall, you brought death to me, you put me in a state that I can’t reverse.’
                ‘And that’s my fault? My first impression of you nearly blew a hole in the earth, you’ll forgive me for not trusting your scientific judgement.’
                ‘I don’t want to die,’ he says. ‘I have knowledge to offer the world…’
                ‘And so might I have before I died, before everything was taken from me,’ I interrupt. ‘How do you know what I was going to go on to do? You can’t just weigh people’s importance like that.’
                Teague crosses his arms. Defeated but opening the floor to me.
                ‘Well then,’ he says. He sounds agitated, like a petulant child has ruined his day. ‘What do you suggest we do?’
                ‘We find another way,’ I say. ‘I don’t want this connection any more than you. If you ask me you should be locked away. You’ve put people in danger and if it wasn’t for a rich boy in a basement you’d have hurt them.’
                I grab his hand. ‘I just hope we can find them again.’

No comments:

Post a Comment