Monday 7 April 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 97

               But what if there’s another explanation?
                There are at least two people who prescribe to the ‘great beyond’ theory. One man wrote about it in a 200 year old book and now we’re seeing proof of his musings. Another man believed him and defied the laws of the universe and crossed a boundary at great personal risk to himself. Who’s to say there isn’t another step to the afterlife?
                ‘What if they’re both true?’ I interrupt as I arrive at the conclusion.
                ‘What if there is another place that exists where the dead can go?’ I hold my hand up to silence Graham as he opens his mouth. ‘But what if there’s an explanation to it. Just because it’s given a mythical name doesn’t mean it has to exist through magic and belief. People believe in the story, enough to injure themselves and put many more in danger. Whatever the reason for Teague following Thacker, we have to find one or both of them and get to the bottom of it.’
                ‘OK,’ Graham says. ‘Peachy, now how do we do that exactly?’
                I can see he doesn’t buy into my story. A scientist to the end. I’d respect that, but his lack of conviction to follow his obvious talent is what annoys me. Even if his talent was small, he should pursue it to make it greater. I tried to follow my dreams. I had my university application all filled out, ready to study physics at – hopefully – one of the big ones, and I died. Graham sat at home playing video games with his application looking sad and empty. But now he’s interested when there’s a believer to argue with. Right now, I respect Yates a whole lot more.
                ‘We need help,’ I say. ‘We’ve missed him, but I think we can find him if we look hard enough.’
                ‘Why are we always finding something to find something else?’ asks Elle.
                ‘Because the dead don’t have a phonebook,’ replies Yates.
                ‘He is getting better,’ says Elle, clapping him on the back. He stumbles forward but the corners of his mouth turn up and released from their permanent grimace for a few seconds.
                 ‘So who are we finding?’
                ‘When I first arrived here, I was greeted by someone,’ I reply. ‘He’s been dead for 400 years. I think that’s a pretty impressive CV when we’re looking for answers about being dead.’

No comments:

Post a Comment