Thursday 3 April 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 93

As we reenter the spirit world, Yates expels a breath like he’s just come off stage after the biggest performance of his career.
            I notice he’s shaking and cross to him, putting my arm around his shoulders. He’s remained a teenager, but while before he’d looked greasy, hunched, folding into himself. Now he stood an inch taller. Though he was still pallid and sick looking. I have a feeling that’ll fade.
            ‘You did great, Yates,’ I say. ‘Come on, lets get out of here.’
            I take his hand and Elle’s as she reaches for mine.
            In a second we stand on the other bank, without sparing Mr Yates another glance. I wonder did his son?
            Graham stands on the bank. I flick the switch on the remote. He jumps and then starts to applaud.
            He waves the binoculars.
            ‘That, was spectacular,’ he says. He goes to clap Yates on the shoulder. His arm passes through him and he out a terrific shudder.
            He straightens up, embarrassed.
            ‘How do you feel?’ Elle asks. Touching Yates lightly on the shoulder. This time he doesn’t flinch away from her contact.
            ‘It was something I’ve needed to do,’ he says. ‘I’ve always needed to confront him.’ He smiles. ‘I’m glad I could do it with style.’
            ‘See, good one-liners, he’s learning,’ Elle says, like a proud mother.
            ‘I wish I could have seen his face. He crawled to the corner before I could get a good look.’ Graham looks genuinely disappointed.
            ‘Where to next?’ Yates asks.
            ‘Well we follow Thacker’s clues,’ I reply as if it was obvious.
            ‘But, really?’ Yates’s eyebrows raise. ‘I didn’t think…’
            ‘Why wouldn’t we? It’s important.’
            Graham’s looking at Yates in a whole new light. I noticed it as soon as we returned. Yates keeps looking at him to, stealing a glance here and there like he can feel his stare. I don’t want him to get uncomfortable.
            ‘If we make a stop back at my house, we can get started,’ Yates says. ‘I know where we can go first.’

            ‘Excellent,’ says Elle. ‘The band's all together.’

No comments:

Post a Comment