Monday 21 April 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 109

                We walk through the hallway, the silence inside already answers my questions.
                ‘Try what again? You’ve butchered my equipment.’
                ‘My friend knocked one of them together in about fifteen minutes,’ I reply. ‘I’m sure you’ll manage.’
                ‘What your friend knocked together was a way to make the dead visible to the living, that’s child’s play compared to what my device could do.’
                I turn to him, still gripping his arm. ‘But still, you built one before, you can build one again, this time preferably without the surprising side effect of turning yourself into an atom bomb.’
                He scoffs. ‘You’re exaggerating a bit there. My little mishap would have destroyed the house at worst.’
                I move away from him, not even dignifying his response with a reply. He won’t try and run, I’m not even sure he knows how. Right now he’s trapped as a ghost, just like the rest of us.
                I enter the living room and find it deserted. I cast around for a second, at a loss for what to do.
                Think, where would they go?
                ‘Oh surprise, surprise,’ Teague says, sauntering into the room. I wonder does he know how to travel, could he leave if he wanted to. I know if I leave him he’ll just follow me. It’s like he’s an extremely clever bad penny. ‘Friends abandoned you, they always do.’
                ‘Oh great, a sob story, you might as well start singing. I’ll provide the violin.’
                Teague twists his face into mock laughter, aimed in my direction. People say that maths and science are the universal language, I’m beginning to think it’s sarcasm.
                What were we talking about before I touched the scorch-mark?
                ‘Think of the possibility, Easton, please,’ he says. ‘What if letting go meant something more than you could possibly imagine?’
               ‘I can imagine quite a lot, I’m good like that.’
                ‘Unlimited knowledge, understand, a way with the world!’ He sounds like a zealot, peddling his fanaticism on a doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment