Tuesday 15 April 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 102


Chapter Fifteen

                ‘Did you know that there are points around the globe, veritably alive with electromagnetism?’ Teague says, twisting dials on his remote. ‘I discovered a long time ago that…ghosts as you call them flock to them like they truly possess magnetic properties and you’re all made of iron.’
                ‘I thought you weren’t monologueing,’ I reply. It doesn’t hurt being hung in the air, it’s just quite a peculiar feeling. The thing I don’t like is not being able to move. I feel trapped. My chance is to annoy him, so that he hopefully makes a mistake and lets me go. I close my eyes, trying to travel, anywhere but here.
                ‘I told you, you can’t do that,’ he boasts. ‘You figured out that you’re now constructed mostly from protons,’ he explains. ‘And that you can make yourself visible by changing the charge of the air. I’ve changed the charge again.’ He waves the remote. ‘Though my power sources is a little bit stronger than the mains. You can’t travel, you can’t even move.’
                I close my eyes, apparently in defeat. I try to reach out. My fingers prickle. I try very hard not to smile. That power remains mine. I reach out to him and find he’s solid again. I can’t read his feelings. I can imagine he’d shine triumphant. Does this mean he doesn’t know about the Edge?
                I open my eyes again, I don’t want to make it obvious. If I have something he doesn’t know about I have to use it to my advantage.
                ‘How are we connected? The hand I touched in Rome?’
                ‘Spot on,’ compliments Teague like a teacher. His eyes are very bloodshot, and the beard on his chin has grown scraggly, tiny brown hairs are beginning to skew off, randomly. Not that he seems to care. His clothes look unwashed. He must be hot in that coat, despite the wind up here. He looks like a desperate man with the gift of control.
                ‘Why does it matter?’ I ask. ‘It’s hurting you isn’t it.’
                Teague’s eyes narrow. I’ve hit the nail on the head.
                ‘It’s none of your business what the connection does,’ he snaps. ‘What matters is you saw something shiny and you touched it, like a magpie, like a…child.’ He finishes like the idea repulses him. ‘It won’t take long to reverse, I just want to get you out of my hair.’
                He turns a dial. I feel a prickle, but not like the Edge. It’s like a thousand needles digging into my skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment