Thursday 5 June 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 156

I thought of Robin, the kindly, slightly crazed quirky woman from the cell and still it didn’t make much sense.
            ‘Are you sure you’ve got the right woman?’
            Windermere stops and turns. Her eyes seem to gleam with her anger in the darkness.
            ‘Do not be swayed by her tricks,’ she says. ‘Robin Thacker is one of the most dangerous people who have ever lived.’
            I hear her say the words but I don’t quite believe her.
            ‘You know, there’s an author called Robin Thacker.’
            ‘It’s not a coincidence. He is her. Or so she would have us believe, and her evidence is irrefutable.’
            She starts down the corridor as if it wasn’t a huge revelation.
            I look at Elle and then Yates, whose eyes have grown wide.
            ‘She wasn’t Thacker,’ Yates says. ‘Don’t be so ridiculous. Robin Thacker was a man. A man in Victorian London. You said she was from the eighties.’
            ‘I’m sure you know better than most that Thacker was the first and best of us to dance with death,’ Windermere says. ‘Do you really think it impossible.’
            ‘What that he reincarnated himself?’ I say. I look at Elle but she shrugs. A year ago the idea would seem like faith to me. Now, after everything I’ve seen, I don’t struggle to believe it. I’ve seen Teague and my own best friend cross between life and death like they’d just flicked a switch. I’d seen Yates change his form from a middle-aged man to a teenager to a boy under ten. Is it that unbelievable.
            ‘You’re going to have to show me this proof,’ I say.
            ‘Ever the scientist,’ Windermere says as we start up the staircase.
            ‘It unsettles me how well you know us,’ Elle says. ‘How long have you been watching us? How have you been watching us full stop?’
            ‘Everything will become clear.’
            ‘You know this mystery crap’s starting to get really old,’ she says. ‘Don’t you lot have some pamphlets or something, I really have to get to my parents. If you’ve been watching us then you know what happened in New York.’

            ‘We know,’ Windermere says. ‘And you don’t need to worry, Elle, your parents are safe.’

No comments:

Post a Comment