Friday 27 June 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 178

                I clutch my stomach. The awful, hollow, sick feeling grips me and takes over my thought processes. I cast around for something to eat. There is nothing. Just terracotta coloured sand dunes in all directions. I stand at the precipice of one. Far away I see the setting sun and the sky turn an orchestra of oranges reds and pinks fading to indigo and black high above me.
                If I feel hunger then I’ll feel the cold of night in the desert. I make for the dead tree, wondering how it got here. I marvel at the idea that it ever grew here at all. I slide down the slope and I’m reminded of the beach Teague took us to. How long ago was that? An hour? How can so much happen in an hour.
                Is this hell?
                The thought claws at the edges of my mind. I push it back, refuse to give it centre stage. I can’t have gone to hell. I’m a man of science. Everything I’ve seen so far has been explained by cold, hard fact so that must mean that there is an explanation for this place.
                I run through a list of deserts in my head and try to place myself. The Sahara? The Gobi? Death Valley? Something makes me think that this is none of those places. The feeling I have and my manner of arrival set a seed of dread deep in my stomach, buried to fester and grow beneath the layers of hunger.
                I reach the bottom and stand in the narrow shade of the tree. It feels real to my touch. Rough, dry and dead. Bits of bark crumble away.
                I can’t stay here. I close my eyes and concentrate.
                Nothing happens. I strain to picture Yates’s house. The smell of the hay, the rolling fields behind it. The old house covered in books.
                I open them again and shift my feet in the sand. What’s happened?
                I close my eyes again and reach out. I try to sense the world around me the same way I’ve done a thousand times. The Edge doesn’t appear. All I see is the blackness of the back of my eyelids and the image of the sun left on my retinas.               
                Hello! I think. Shouting in my own head. Elle! Yates?
                There’s no reply.
                Turning on the spot, stranded in the middle of this endless sea of sand I come to a horrible realisation. I think I’m alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment