Monday 23 June 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 171

                'Really, Teague?' comes the now familiar voice.

                Robin Thacker appears at the top of the staircase. She walks down the stairs like a queen, one hand on the bannister. She's changed clothes. A benefit of the living. I'm guessing she has some device or another on her person that lets her see us. She locks eyes with me in particular as she reaches the bottom step.

                'I thought it might be appropriate?' Teague ventures. 'The man bringing spoils home to the lady in the manor.'

                'You know I don't like that sort of language,' Thacker replies. Her voice has changed. Once light and grandma-like. Now there is authority. 'Lady, woman and gentleman, man. Gender is so inconsequential to someone who's lived as long as me.' She smiles, but not happily. 'Gentleman,' she says. 'What a lost ideal.'

                'You were once,' Teague says. 'The finest gentleman, that's what all the books call you.'

                I feel like we've been forgotten. Set aside for this grand reunion of master and apprentice.
                'So they did,' Thacker confirms. She looks towards the three of us, standing behind Teague. 'Welcome to our temporary abode,' she says. 'I apologise for the little masquerade at the castle, one must be aware who one can trust.'

No comments:

Post a Comment