Monday 9 June 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 160

               Windermere shifts on her feet slightly. ‘That’s really neither here nor there, the point is that Ms Thacker subverted nature and the barriers between life and death. The same can be said for Teague…’
                ‘I think it’s very much now and here actually,’ Elle says. ‘I may not agree with people playing around with life and death, but I disagree with calling someone a terrorist because they used a bunch of willing volunteers. Answer Easton’s question.’
                ‘They were volunteers, but the point remains…’
                ‘I’m liking this woman less and less Easton,’ Elle says, disregarding Windermere’s presence.
                I nod and look back at the council member. ‘Look, Windermere,’ I say. ‘We’ll help because Teague has proven himself to be dangerous and if we can help, we’ll help, but I don’t think any of us agree that Thacker is a terrorist. I don’t think there’s a rulebook for the living or the dead…’
                ‘Well maybe there should be,’ Windermere snaps.
                ‘We never change do we,’ Elle mutters.
                I look at my friends. We know we’re in a situation where we can’t escape without helping. I can see that none of us are on board with some of the things Windermere says. We all love our freedom. Surely people like Thacker are entitled to the same amount of freedom. I’m on Elle’s side that people shouldn’t throw away their lives so easily, but if people are given a choice, then there can’t be complaints as long as everyone remains unhurt.
                ‘Show us Teague,’ I state. ‘And tell us what you want to do.’
                Windermere shows her distaste for our point of view clearly on her face. ‘I’d be careful swaying towards Thacker’s camp.’ Her voice is full of warning. ‘Your crimes against the council are so far a secret, but it won’t always be that way.’
                She turns and opens the door at the back of the room and passes through into the space beyond without another word.

No comments:

Post a Comment