Thursday 12 June 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 163

               And here’s the boss of the operation. Teague adds. Be careful, she has a forked tongue.
                ‘Just let out of your cell and now you’re making demands,’ the woman says.
                ‘If you didn’t want us to be out, you should build better cells,’ Elle says. ‘Maybe invest in some windows.’
                ‘I’d ask you to keep quiet if you know what’s good for you,’ the woman snaps.
                ‘Don’t talk to Elle like that,’ Yates demands.
                ‘I’d also asks that criminals like yourselves watch your manners. You’re lucky to be out anyway.’
                Windermere has shrunk to stand behind her. She looks small despite standing so tall.
                ‘My name is Agatha,’ the woman stares me in the eyes. They pierce me; threaten to read my every secret. ‘Why are you not talking with Teague yet?’ she continues.
                Because he won’t reply.
                Be quiet, you. I think.
                ‘I still don’t know why you think he’ll listen to us,’ I reply. ‘He double crossed us , I know you know that. You know everything else.’
                ‘Well then we’ll connect you together and take you to the other side of the world until he cooperates.’
                It’ll never come to that.
                ‘And what do you want from him?’
                ‘We want to know what he and his friend were planning to do when we caught them both.’
                ‘And where did you catch them?’
                ‘I’m not at liberty to disclose that.’
                We were sightseeing. Completely innocently. The girl and her ghost. Sound familiar?
                I don’t trust either of them for a second. A lot of things are clear. One, that Graham either won’t or can’t come to find us. Two, that we won’t get out of this building without cooperating, and three, Yates would fall to his atoms if we didn’t wasted too much more time.
                ‘Let’s go and see him,’ I say. ‘And I’ll show you how little help we are.’
                Agatha waves her hand towards the cage. It strikes me how absurd this all is. ‘If we get him to cooperate, then you release Yates and let us go.’
                ‘Release the boy from his captivity I can agree to,’ Agatha says. ‘Your situation after will be put to the council.’
                First chance we get, Elle thinks. Run, opposite sides of the earth.
                And where will we all be meeting? Teague chips in.

No comments:

Post a Comment