Monday 23 June 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 165

                We exit the Edge and I instantly lose my footing. The ground beneath me is constituted of small stones and scree. I fall to my knees and tumble downwards.

                ‘Easton!’ someone calls. I think Elle.

                I reach the bottom and dig my hands into the stones to steady myself. My heart beats quickly in my chest.

                The memory of a heart, I remind myself.

                A rushing fills my ears. A repeated crescendo of rise and crash, rolling and tumbling. I’m by the sea. I have a flash of running on Weymouth beach. Mum chases me with a towel. I giggle uncontrollably. It’s not a memory I’ve had before. I’m far too young yet the memory is fresh. This isn’t Weymouth. The sea spray is cold and harsh and stings my cheeks as I raise myself onto my elbows.

                'Are you alright, Easton?' Elle skids to a stop at my side after sliding down the slope herself.

                I can hear Yates shouting at Teague from the top of the slope by the waves drown him out.

                'I'm fine,' I insist as I drag myself to my feet.

                'What the hell was that?' Elle shouts back up the slope. 'No warning, no asking if we want to come with you.'
                'Oh, I'm sorry,' says Teague. 'I'll leave you to rot in the next castle.'

No comments:

Post a Comment