Monday 23 June 2014

Above the Vaulted Sky - Page 172

                Her words sometimes come from a forgotten age. Back in the castle she spoke like a woman of this time. I wonder is it like an accent. If you live in a country for long enough, you adopt their manners. Sometimes you can keep it. Maybe it shows a longing for a bygone age.

                'Why have you brought us here?' I ask.

                It strikes me that this is my favourite author of all time. Of all the ways I thought about meeting Robin Thacker, this was not among them. It's like I've stepped into one of the books. Ghosts and demons, jewels and thieves.

                'I was hoping you'd like to lend me a hand,' Thacker suggests. Her eyes show something, a twinkle, a whisper, but one I can't read.

                'Only if you answer some questions,' Yates says.

                'Yeah we want to know exactly what we're getting ourselves into, otherwise you can forget it,' Elle says.

                I nod in agreement. Thankfully, Thacker does too.
                'That seems fair,' she says. 'I think you'll find that in this game of ghosts and monsters, there is no side to choose. I can respect you for doing what you feel is right.' She turns to walk away but seems to reconsider. She turns to face us. 'But I sincerely hope you agree with me. What me and my colleague here have to say. We're on the brink of greatness beyond greatness.'

No comments:

Post a Comment